Renewing Your UK Passport Online

It´s incredibly easy to renew your passport when living in Spain – you can do everything online, and have the passport delivered here in Spain.

Renewing an Adult or Children´s Passport

The process of renewing a passport for an adult or a children is very straightforward. You can complete this completely online via this link: Overseas British passport applications - GOV.UK (

You will be asked to:

Get a digital passport photo. You can either do this in a photo booth or take a digital photo at home.

Provide application details. Just answer the questions included on the application site. You may also be asked to send some supporting documentation (such as your old passport)

Pay for your passport. A standard passport is £101 for an adult, and £65.50 for a child. Plus a £19.86 courier fee payable by overseas applicants.

You may be required to get someone to confirm your identity. This can be done online.

Wait for your new passport to arrive!

You can save your application online, for later use, or if you need to print the document elsewhere.  You will also need to make payment with a debit/credit card.

Important: If you are applying for a first child or adult passport the process is fairly similar, although you may have to attend an interview in person and provide identification and other supporting documentation. Interviews are held as close as possible to your home.

The process is the same for a first child or adult passport, but you will have to attend an interview in person and provide identification as other supporting documentation.  These interviews are often held at your local British Consulate.
Further information on UK passports can be found here:

Processing Fees For Digital/Biometric Passport

The fees necessary with your application are as follows:

  • Adult passport (32 page) - £101 + £19.86 courier fee.
  • Child passport (32 page) - £66.50 + £19.86 courier fee.

 The Courier fee shown above is to cover the cost of returning the passport to you via a secure courier.

***Prices Correct as of 10th May 2024

Supporting Documentation

  • Your existing ORIGINAL (copies not acceptable) 10 year adult or 5 year children´s passport.
  • Two passport photos of yourself of correct size. You willl need to obtain a digital passport photo if you wish to apply for a British passport from overseas. You can either have these photos taken professionally, or use your digital camera or camera phone to take them yourself. A digital passport photo must be taken against a plain, light-coloured background. This ensures that the person in the picture is in sharp contrast with their background, making their image clearer and highlights facial features, key when taking biometric photos.
  •  You must make sure the photos are in colour and of your head only, without any hat or headdress, your facial expression should be neutral (no smiling, grimacing, or otherwise pulling a face).

Certifying Your Photographs

Unless your visual appearance has changed markedly since your last application, there is no need for your photographs to be certified.

Further information on passport photo requirements can be found here

How Long Will My New Passport Take To Arrive?

The time will vary on how busy the time of year Is, but is usually around 6 weeks.  If it is your first passport, then you should expect to wait up to 8 weeks.  So it´s important to renew or apply for your passport in good time before any foreign travel.
You should check your passport thoroughly for any mistakes – if you don´t notify the passport office of these mistakes within 6 months, you will have to pay the complete fee for a replacement.

You can track your passport application online, so you will know where you are in the process at each step. The passport office will send you updates by email or text. You can also log in to the website to check where you need to send your documents, confirm your identity, and track your application progress.

Contact the passport advice line if you cannot find answers online. Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000   Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time)

Lost, Stolen or Expired Passports

If you have had your passport stolen, and you need to travel urgently, then you will need to go to your British consulate, and apply for an Emergency Travel Document (ETD)
This allows you to travel through up to five countries. You will need to report your passport stolen at the local Guardia Civil station, as they will give you the necessary document recording the theft of the document.

 You will need to attend your consulate in person to obtain this document.  To find your nearest office, follow this link.

The following Documentation Will Be Required

 You can make a provisional police report in English by calling 902 102 112, then go the nearest National Police station to collect the final report.