Post-Brexit Changes Mean New Licences Needed to Bring Vans and Trailers from UK to Spain

In a post-Brexit world, things move quickly and rules change regularly. This is particularly true when it comes to driving between the UK and Spain, where Brexit-related driving changes are introduced on a seemingly monthly basis. During 2022, a new change is set to be introduced: an extra licence will be required for British licence holders who wish to bring a van or large car trailer into Spain, or any other EU country.

If this applies to you, here’s everything you need to know:

What are the New Rules?

The new legislation states that, from next year, people based in the UK who want to bring a van into the EU may be required to secure an international goods vehicle operator licence. If you are required to secure this licence then it will cost £257 (€301) to apply for a goods vehicle operator licence. You will then need to pay an additional £401 (€470) for the licence itself. The licence is valid for five years, at which point it will need to be renewed at the expense of an additional £401.

This will affect small couriers and removal companies, who will be hit by additional costs that they will then pass on to their customers.

Will The New Rules Apply to Me?

At the highest level, the new legislation will apply to all Britons who are transporting goods in exchange for commercial gain, if the vehicle they are using is larger than the thresholds outlined below. The rules will apply to:

  • vans with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) over 2,500kg (2.5 tonnes) and up to and including 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes)
  • vans towing a trailer with a gross train weight (GTW) over 2.5 tonnes and up to and including 3.5 tonnes
  • cars towing a trailer with a GTW over 2.5 tonnes and up to and including 3.5 tonnes

If you’re not sure whether this will apply to you and your vehicle then, as a rule of thumb Ford Transit vans (and vans of that type and size) are less than 2.5 tonnes MAM, whilst any van on a long-wheelbase will be heavier, and therefore this new legislation will apply.

According to the UK Government’s website, if you’re “transporting goods on a non-commercial basis (not for ‘hire or reward’)” then you won’t need to secure a licence. This means that if you’re moving to Spain and want to drive your own removal van then you won’t need to go throw the hassle and expense of securing an additional driving licence. If you’re a commercial removal firm though, or a courier company, then you will need to secure this licence.

When Will the Changes Come into Force?

The changes will come into force on 21st May 2022, so if they apply to you that gives you plenty of time to apply for the new licence you will need.

Want to know more? You can find the full details of the changes on the UK government’s page HERE.

Are you thinking of moving to Spain? Always dreamt of working in Spain and living in the sun at the same time? Then why not get in touch with our locally based property experts, who have years of experience in helping house hunters just like you to find the property of their dreams.