Whole eggs are considered one of the most nutritious foods on earth. They are packed full of vitamins, minerals, high-quality protein and good fats. They are also delicious, especially when they are cooked the traditional Spanish way.
This recipe takes homemade corn tortos and tops them with scrambled eggs, rich with cream and blue cheese.
Here’s how to make Spanish eggs:
- 200g maize flour
- 60g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 litre light olive oil, for deep-frying
- 4 white onions, thinly sliced
- 150ml olive oil
- 30ml single cream
- 10g blue cheese (cabrales if available)
- 4 eggs
- This recipe will require that you make fresh tortos and then make scrambled eggs for the topping.
- To make the tortos mix together both of the flours in a bowl and when they are mixed together add 200ml of lukewarm water and 1 tsp of salt to the mixture.
- This will create a dough that you should work until it is well mixed.
- Cover and rest the dough for 6 hours.
- Whilst the dough is resting cook the onions in a pan over a low heat for 2 hours until they are soft and dark.
- Drain the onions to remove all of the oil.
- Heat the cream and cheese together over a low heat and stir until the cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the onions and eggs and season to taste.
- Stir quickly until you have creamy scrambled eggs and keep warm in the pan.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions and then roll these out into thin discs of approximately 9cm diameter.
- Heat olive oil in a deep frying pan and fry the tortos in batches. Each tortos should take 2-3 minutes to cook. Turn over and fry the other side.
- Remove to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain. Serve topped with a thin layer of the scrambled eggs.
Other Spanish recipes you might enjoy include:
Are you thinking of living in Spain? Perhaps you like the idea of submerging yourself into the traditional Spanish lifestyle and cooking Spanish recipes every day? Whatever your dream, we can help. Why not get in touch with our team of local property experts today, to find out more about how we can help you.