No dish is more Spanish than paella. While each Spanish autonomous region has its own cultural heritage and its own rich cuisine, paella is a hearty and comforting dish that you can find almost anywhere in the country.
This easy version of the dish is packed full of prawns and peppers and can be cooked in less than half an hour. The measures listed below will serve two, but just double up if you’re feeding a family or having dinner with friends.
Here’s how to make perfect paella with prawns:
- olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 150g paella rice, or long grain rice
- a large pinch saffron
- a large pinch smoked paprika
- 400ml chicken stock
- 150g large, cooked prawns, shell on or off depending on your preference
- 100g frozen peas, defrosted
- a small bunch parsley, chopped
- Take a large deep frying pan. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and use it to cook the onion, pepper and garlic until clear and soft.
- Stir in the paella rice, saffron and paprika and cook for 15 minutes until just tender. If you need to you can add a splash of water during this cooking process.
- Add the prawns and the peas and cook for a few minutes until they are heated through and the rice is tender.
- Season to taste, and stir through the chopped parsley for colour and flavor.
Other Spanish recipes you might enjoy include:
Are you thinking of living in Spain? Perhaps you like the idea of submerging yourself into the traditional Spanish lifestyle and cooking Spanish recipes every day? Whatever your dream, we can help. Why not get in touch with our team of local property experts today, to find out more about how we can help you.